Wednesday, November 06, 2019

WIP - Lace making

I’ve only blogged once before about my lace HERE, around the time I first started blogging, and every so often I’ve been thinking that I must get back to lace making!

This Sunday I spent a little time winding bobbins, then during the week I took the kit along to my handicraft group. Luckily there are a few ladies there who are very experienced lace makers, and purely by chance, two of them were sitting at the same table as me, so I was able to ask for a little assistance.


My latest piece is teeeny tiny! I thought small would be more encouraging you see! Unfortunately my instructions had said 12” of cotton per bobbin which I read literally, but bobbins are wound in pairs ..... so I spent a little while rewinding the bobbins I’d prepared on Sunday evening with 24” pieces of cotton between each pair!

Pinterest knows everything doesn’t it, and it somehow knew I was working on lace and fortuitously sent me a pin to this lovely lady’s blog where she clearly shows how to wind a bobbin.

Needless to say, I am now one of her faithful followers, although I can only dream of aspiring to making lace like hers.

Thanks to Pinterest I also found a tutorial showing how to start lacing HERE.

Lace making


It took rather a long time to make this tiny leaf, and I’m sure it isn’t perfect by any means, but I’m so happy to have made it this far!

I spent approximately 2 hours to make half a leaf, and then most of the evening to finish ..... plus the time it took to unravel almost half the leaf to rectify the mistake I spotted a half way down!

I don’t mind really, especially as now I will be able to work another leaf at home, on my own, from start to finish. I’m so glad I had a go, and now I’m thinking of continuing while the method is fresh in my mind. The leaf was one pattern of about nine in the lace kit, but some look a bit too complicated for a mere beginner like me!

Will any of you admit to having lace projects hiding in your deepest cupboards ..... just waiting for you to dig them out and finish them?????

Thank you so much for visiting, and, as always, I really look forward to reading your comments!


Hugs,
Barbara xxx

25 comments:

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

In Spain there is a great tradition of bobbin packaging work that is what is called here.
The artisans are concentrated in small towns and real works of art.
I really like your work and how you have decorated the bobbins, Barbara.
Greetings from Spain

Madammeke Ongeduld said...

hello Barbara,
I love making lace
it's beautifol
soory for my englisch

Christine B said...

Love your little lace leaf Barbara! I have never tried lace-making but it does fascinate me! Not sure I've time to take on any more hobbies!! Christine xx

Anaisa said...

Vaya Bárbara!! esto no sólo es arte también es una buena dosis de paciencia!! no nena como decimos por acá ¡a ese tema no le entro yo!! esas son otras ligas ¡ja¡ja¡ja!
Precioso, muy lindo tu trabajo felicidades!!

Besotes y feliz semana!!

Queeniepatch said...

How beautiful!
Good to hear you have some lace buddies to share this hobby with.
I did a little bit of lace making in school, and should have learned more about it as many of my relatives were into bobbin lace. Alas, my attention turned to embroidery...

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

No. I have never tried that craft. but I have tried small needle weaving projects and I admit I enjoyed it immensely. I'm sure at some point I'll give that another go. Yay for you to complete the leaf. I hope you'll share more, if you choose to create more.
x, Carol

Wendy said...

It's beautiful! I haven't made lace in such a long time, and I inherited all my mum's bobbins... I should rectify that!

Eli R. said...

Una resultado muy bello, se llevo su tiempo pero finalmente lo has concluido, la verdad es un técnica que merece su respeto, como todas, creo esta mucho más por lo mismo te felicito y animo! para nuevos proyectos

Besos

Diana Moriel said...

Wow! Lace is so difficult to make! The leaf looks awesome and I hope you will show us more!

Ysnelda Solano said...

Un trabajo que requiere mucha concentración, paciencia y delicadez, me encanta, felicitaciones.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never tried lace making I'm afraid. I love it but not something that I really want to attempt. Just looking at all those bobbins and thread just asking to tangle up is enough to put me off! Your leaf looks lovely!

Kim said...

Oh, I want to make lace just like you!! Yours is stunning Barbara. Love the look of all those pretty bobbins. How very clever of you!

Creando y Fofucheando said...

Lo das todo! y seguro que los siguientes proyectos te quedarán geniales,me parece muy dificil,jajaja pero los resultados van a ser bueniisimos.
A por todas amiga ;)
Muchos besos!

Bethan said...

Oh wow - this looks so intricate! I love all your bobbins for making lace. I presume that you'd probably need more if you are doing something more complex/bigger?

Julie said...

Well done, your leaf looks great.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your leaf is amazing. I've never tried bobbin lace but I've seen it done at craft shows and it looks very complicated. I'm glad you found some friends to help. It looks very advanced for a beginner kit. I'm looking forward to seeing how your lacemaking evolves :)

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Me encanta ver que has experimentado con el encaje de bolillos, yo también quiero aprender en un futuro, aunque no sé cuando, te ha quedado precioso.

Gracias por el enlace del tutorial.

BESOS

Pamela said...

I've never tried making lace, but it is interesting. Your leaf looks very nice.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb wow you are very brave tackling lace work it is so pretty and very fine,your work is beautiful,well done my friend xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your lace leaf looks lovely! Nice to see a bright colour too. When I used to commute, there was a woman who made lace on the train! I don't know how she concentrated, I used to do my cross stitch but usually something simple.

Faith... said...

It looks a little complicated, so no lacing for me but yours is gorgeous.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Barb, love your little pincushion. Did you get time to make any of Patty's pumpkins? They were cute. Meanwhile, so admire the skill required to make lace. This will be so beautiful. Kudos for learning new things and making something beautiful.

Astrids dragon said...

Oh wow, I appreciate lace making so much more now! It looks so cool and so does your leaf. I don't think I'd have the patience for it though. And I'm sure the kitties would have a field day with all that thread!

eclectichomelife said...

I have never tried lace before, if I am honest have been a tad scared to try! But love everything about the shape and colour and size of your leaf, makes it feel very 'modern'.

handmade by amalia said...

I've never tried my hand at lace making. I would love to. I will feel like a spider.
Amalia
xo