I found this tutorial for a Pen pocket on Pinterest! It's from Katie's brilliant blog - Made to be a Momma. When I discovered this Pen Pocket I knew just the person I would make it for, and set about it, tout suite !
And so, here is my version of Katie's pen pocket which fits a small diary, it has painted lace, co-ordinating with a pink check fabric, a patchwork square, a lid with popper and an elastic hem at the top of the pocket.
The measurements are as follows (with seam allowance included):
You will also need:
- two pieces of 3mm elastic, one piece 4" (10cm) and the second of 2" (5cm)
- one popper, and
Here's how to make it:
- Stitch square (f) onto the bottom of (c), the pocket front, cutting the lace the same width. Tack lace in place on both long sides of pocket. Turn the top hem over twice, top stitch and thread elastic through top hem. Remeasure the pocket front and cut it to size.
- Fold the seam allowance on the short edges of pieces (a), (b), top and bottom and top edge of (d) and (e) towards the Wrong Side and press them with a hot iron.
- Place (a) RS up, then place (c), RS up on top and stitch to hold the elastic top in place, stretching the elastic as you stitch the second side.
- Cover (a) and (c) with (b) and stitch each long side, back stitching over start and finish of sides, turn RS out, push the elastic in either end and stitch the ends closed, stitching the elastic firmly in place.
- Place (d) and (e) RS together, stitch around 3 sides, leaving the folded and pressed seam allowance on the open side. Turn the RS out, push the seam allowance inside and stitch the open end closed.
- Stitch: the flap in place on the end of the pocket; and a popper on the inside of the flap and the second part of the popper onto the elastic hem.
And that's it, one pen pocket completed!
Isn't Pinterest a great place to find wonderful blogs? Have you made anything you've found on Pinterest?
If you'd like to pay me a visit on Pinterest you will find me there as "Barbara".
I do hope you've had a lovely weekend.