Sunday, October 22, 2017

Mini Finishes & Gifted Gorgeousness


Hello Dear Reader,

Today I’m linking to Jo of Serendipitous Stitching with my cross stitch finish. Actually I completed this in the summer but kept missing the linkup for Gifted Gorgeousness.

Gifted Gorgeousness is our opportunity to link up showing gifts we have received or sent, or can shoehorn in  ..... for instance gifts from magazines.

And I am shoehorning this one, as it was a gift
from a cross stitch magazine

My cross stitch friends might remember seeing this before when I was stitching it (that's the white bit in the middle) and might recall me saying how long it took to stitch, for such a small project. There were too many half stitches and the fabric was 16hpi (for non cross stitchers that's 16 stitches to the inch), too small for me. I'm much happier with 14 stitches per inch.


I couldn’t post without showing you these lovely mittens, or should I call them fingerless gloves, my sister made for me earlier this year. These were the first pair she had made ..... wasn’t I lucky! Our Mum has been making lots of these gloves for charity over the last few years and my sis thought it was about time she made some too!



On the stitching front I fully finished off a few tiny projects:


The first being this tissue cover, made last week for a birthday pressie for Mum, using some of my favourite pink check which I normally use to line items, but as Mum has very poor eyesight (Retinitus Pigmosa) I used the pink on the outside so, hopefully, it will be easier for her to find in the depths of any bag. 

For the lining of the tissue holder and the outside of the Mini Thread Catcher (MTC) I used some flowery scraps which I had been gifted by one of the ladies from the handicraft group I attend. Ohh, and the pink MTC is another little gift for Mum.

The tissue holder is still in my possession at the moment because I felt it really needed a little embroidery, and that has taken this week to stitch. 


As I started the post with a yellow photo I thought it would be nice to finish in a similar vein!

And the other MTC will be a future pressie

With three finishes this week, I am also linking to Amanda's "Finish It Up Friday", albeit a little bit late, but I'd hate to change the habit of a lifetime ..... tee,hee!

If you like teeny weeny stitching as much as I do, you really must pop over to Amanda's blog: Crazy Mom Quilts, just to see the incy-est (not sure how to spell that!) pouch she has made. It's such a darling! 

All that said, I hope you will pop over to both Jo's and Amanda's blogs to see what others have made.

Thank you for popping by today.



Hugs,
Barbara xxx



21 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Lots of lovely stuff!!! I really like the fingerless gloves - do they sell them to raise money for charity? can I buy a pair? (I had problems with my left hand as a child and ended up having a few fingers removed so ordinary gloves are useless!!!!)

Pamela said...

Your mom will love the beautiful tissue holder.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

I love your Bee Happy and your mum’s tissue pouch is so pretty.
Great knitting by your sister.

Queeniepatch said...

Fine cross stitch is beautiful to look at, but you do strain your eyes with such delicate work. The beehive looks great in that window card!
I do love your thread catchers and the charming tissue paper cover.
Your stitching is always so neat.

Lin said...

Lots of loveliness Barbara! The stitchery is cute and your little mini makes. The embroidery on the tissue case really lifts it. I love the mittens! I would be interested to know where your sister got the pattern? xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,wow so much beautiful work,those mittens are gorgeous,I love the beehive very cute 😘

Elfie said...

So many lovely projects, and such variety. I enjoyed visiting today.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lots of great projects. I should think about making a tissue holder with a hang tab. I can never find a tissue in my purse. I hate to say I often hide one between my cleavage for an emergency. Did I actually just TELL you THAT!, lol.
xx, Carol

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Gorgeous stitching and the gloves from your sister are lovely :)

FlashinScissors said...

Oh Carol! You are a scream! But don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me!
Tee, hee!
Barbara xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those bees DO make me happy! As do all your teenies that you've been working on.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. The beehive looks great with your header photo.
Love this gloves, such a pretty Lacy pattern, perfect for this time of year.

Sheryl said...

The Bee happy card is lovely Barbara, such pretty colours and the stitching well worth all those half stitches. Also love the colours of the fingerless gloves.

Mini said...

The bee card is lovely. I love the cover kits that come with the magazine, so handy when you don't know what to stitch.
You are a genius at sewing, i have never seen tissue cover before.

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Mini.
The bee hive was a lovely little project, just right for travel stitching ..... I do hate sitting on trains with nothing to do but get annoyed at strangers’ poor behaviour around me!
I didn’t have time to add the links to tissue cover tutorials before posting, but you can see my version plus the tutorials that inspired me on this post: https://theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/finish-it-up-friday-two-tiny-finishes.html
Barbara x

Deepa said...

Lovely presents for mom. My next "to learn" target is sewing - hopefully in 2018 :)

Brigitte said...

Your three little fishes are so sweet. And perfect for a Gifted Gorgeousness post. I also love that bee card, it's adorable. And great gloves that your sister made for you. The crafting talent seems to run in the family :))))

handmade by amalia said...

I love your gloves! Keep warm and keep busy at the same time. And I love the other makes as well. A good week.
Amalia
xo

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Beautiful card! So charming!

Mary Marcotte said...

Oh my goodness! your stitching is beautiful and the pink tissue holder for your mum is sweet as can be!
I was thinking there's so little difference between 14 and 16 stitches per inch. I mean 2 more stitches, no biggy! Then I thought about how many inches some projects are plus both width and length...okay I get it. lol I need to think in terms of blocks and quilt sizes, oops! I'm on board.

The Primitive Moon said...

Kartka z pszczołami jest świetna, muszę sobie taką zrobić. Bardzo oryginalna. A o rękawiczkach bez palców marzę od dawna.