Saturday, September 24, 2016

A Few Tiny Finishes!

Hello Everyone,

This week, we have had a very nice man decorating our hall, stairs and landing, so DH and I have been trying to keep out of his way.

Our cats have been a little put out! They just do not like having visitors here! Luckily the weather has been kind to us. It's been sunny and cloudy alternately, and we have been able to sit outside on our veranda, keeping the cats company!

However I did manage to get a little sewing done!

The Splendid Sampler

Yipee, I finished two blocks this week!

Block 27 The Sewing Machine by Pat Sloan
Block 27 - The Sewing Machine by Pat Sloan

And here are the views I showed you on my last post of my progress on The Traveller:

Working on "The Traveller"


More of "The Traveller"


And here it is finished! Although I'm afraid I took my photos too late in the day, and the light wasn't good enough so the colours haven't come out very well!

The fabrics used in this block are the same ones you can see in the header.


The Flashing Scissors - Block 61 The Traveller by Pat Sloan
Block 61 - The Traveller by Pat Sloan

Another Finish!

Last week I joined in with Ida's "Perfectly Pleasing Pincushion Parade" .....  which was loads of fun ......  with many "new to me" blogs to visit. I haven't finished visiting yet as I was also visiting Jo's Big Birthday blog hop.

When I visited Susie's Sunroom (via The Perfectly Pleasing Pincushion Parade), amongst her many tutorials I spotted a free PDF that she had written for a Mini Keeper! I had to make one, but I thought I'd make it a little bit patchwork!

The Flashing Scissors - Mini Keeper


The Flashing Scissors - Mini Keeper
I started by strip piecing the front of my Mini Keeper

I used 3 strips 1 1/2" x 9" and one piece 3 1/2" x 9" for the back. 
Strap 3" x 22".

By the time I finished .... and after some trimming ..... my completed keeper finished at 2 3/4" by 8" .... a little shorter than I expected, but it worked out well for the size of my mini scissors!

The Flashing Scissors - Mini Keeper
I like to use calico to line all my pouches, with a couple of inches of patterned fabric at the top where it will be
visible when the pouches are used.

Susie used Velcro to finish her ties, but as I have a surfeit of "inherited" poppers, and I don't really like  Velcro ..... it gets caught on so many delecate fabrics .... I used these vintage press studs:

The Flashing Scissors - Vintage Press Studs



The Flashing Scissors - Mini Keeeper
I used some of my "tape measure" fabric for the straps.

Have you been stitching this week?

What have you made?





See you later,
Hugs,
Barbara xxx

Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts for "Finish it up Friday"




12 comments:

Christine B said...

Lovely Splendid Sampler blocks Barbara... I have missed quite a number now but, I will catch up when I have time again. Love your little 'mini keeper' such a pretty and useful little project! Good luck with the decorating! Have a nice week! Christine x

Queeniepatch said...

What a handy keeper! Practical and stylish, and you have completed the charming sewing machine block, too.

Amy at love made my home said...

What great pieces, especially the sewing machine tidy! I just have my stuff all laying around beside me when I sew, I could do with something like this, but my machine is too small sadly. I will have to think of something else! xx

Bea said...

Lovely finishes all around - especially the keeper. I really like your choice of fabrics.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Nice keeper. I especially like you sampler blocks. I'm not very good right now with joining and completing challenges. I'm sure that will change in the future.

Lin said...

Your mini keeper looks like a really useful piece of kit, great use of fabrics. I love your traveler block too. xx

Brigitte said...

You seem to have the hang of tiny projects, don't you? And it's so wonderful what you produce. Such a lovely mini keeper, just perfect to keep things by the sewing machine.
Great new blocks for the Splendid Sampler.

handmade by amalia said...

Lovely makes, Barbara. I'm so glad to be here, my blogging break took longer than expected.
Amalia
xo

Kaisievic said...

Love your mini keeper, Barbara. Good job. K xxx

Glenda said...

Hi Barabra, I really like the Traverllers blocks, I'll have to read up on them. You made a great job of your sewing machine tidy, love the colours. I should make one for myself would make it a lot easier to find my sissors LOL. Hugs Glenda

Sheryl said...

What a gorgeous mini keeper, so bright, happy and useful and your new blocks are lovely too, great sewing machine.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely quilting. Those blog hops certainly keep you busy!