Thursday, July 19, 2018

Gifted Georgousness and TUSAL - JULY 2018

Awwwwh!

I was going to post so early this month! I was almost ready a day early! Unfortunately I rushed taking my photos and then wasn't sure whether to go ahead writing a post with those photos ...... then every day since we seem to have been so busy! It's been sooo hot! I know, our hot is nothing compared to other parts of the world, but we just aren't ever prepared for the vast changes in temperature here in the UK!

Oh, and then last week we made the mistake of going shopping on Oxford Street on the very day of the Trump protests! It was quite scary. We went for lunch in a lovely little restaurant just off Regent Street and when we came back out onto Regent Street masses of protesters were making their way towards Oxford Circus.  I really detest the underground, and because the buses were all redirected we ended up walking from Regent Street to Victoria on one of the hottest days of the year. Phew!



Well I've quite forgotten what I had intended to write this time, but here goes.

Gifted Gorgeousness:

Sorry for the crowded photo! There was so much to share!

Featuring:
 "Camper Van" (Summer Kit) from Cross Stitcher, Issue 332
And "Bee Needle Case" - Issue 333

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk
This time I've remembered to add a date to my TUSAL jar!
and my ORTs can be seen on the yellow felt.

This month I finished stitching the camper van onto the beach scene. Of course I could have used the cardboard button provided with the kit but I decided to stitch the camper van (CrossStitcher provided a pattern as well as the button) as I intend to add the picture to a small summer pouch and the cardboard button just wouldn't last. I only want a pouch that can hold a camera, and maybe house keys, suitable for carrying on a Summer day. I've seen a suitable pattern on Pinterest, and was so eager to make this little pouch ..... I found just the right fabrics ..... you can see the blue and pink in the background, but as I need a to find a zip for the pouch the replacement handles for my everyday summer rucksack snuck in first! The old handles were soooo worn there's no way I'd share a photo of them, but here are my new ones:

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

I wasn't sure whether to go with puffy .... in the end I decided to quilt lines along the length of the handle, and I think that was the best decision.

They do make the rest of the bag look a little dull but at least I can keep using it until I have time to make a new one. Who knows I might even make a replacement flap with the same fabric, that would keep the bag going a whole lot longer.

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk


TUSAL

Anyway, I digress! I have also been cutting fabric for my "Spiral" quilt so I have some fabric ORTs too, seen below in the front of the picture .....

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

but here's a last look at "Camper Van" for now .....

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

Oh, I don't think I showed you the final photo for Butterfly so here it is with its finishing ribbon in place:

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

And that's positively the last time you will see Butterfly on my blog, tee hee, promise!

If you enjoy cross stitch do pop over and have a look at who is joining in with Daffycat's TUSAL and Jo's Gifted Gorgeousness.



Hugs,
Barbara xxx





20 comments:

Pamela said...

The camper van is darling!

Queeniepatch said...

I want a holiday in that cute camper van, carrying the stylish rucksack while looking out for other beautiful butterflies to cross stitch! That way I'd avoid the heat, the crowds and traffic conditions of London!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Lovely stitching. Your camper van is lovely and your bag is looking as good as new :)

Celtic Thistle said...

What a cute campervan stitch so much nicer than the monstrosities that park in front of us! Oxford St in the summer is hard to bear at the best of times but in the middle of a protest not much fun at all I should think.

Christine said...

Lovely stitching and you bag looks fabulous

Christine B said...

Love your little campervan Barbara... it will make the perfect pouch! Love your new handles too.... they have certainly given an old bag new life! Have a lovely weekend!! Christine x

Daffycat said...

HaHa! I love that little camper and the butterfly is gorgeous! Great ORats! Thanks for playing along!

Daffycat said...

ORats? Spell check invented a new word, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb wow your camper van stitchery is gorgeous and you make the loveliest bags,well done my friend xx

Mii Stitch said...

Great stitching on the camper van!! I am always admiring your handy work with the sewing and all those gorgeous bags of yours :)

Birthe Marie said...

Lovely stitching! The camper van is so cute, and a beautiful butterfly! :-)

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

What a cute campervan! Just my style 😊 and I know I’ve said this before, but that butterfly is gorgeous. I’m glad you survived both the heat and the protest. I imagine it would have been quite scary getting unintentionally caught up in it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The campervan looks great stitched, what a good idea to make it a little bit durable.
I cannot imagine what London is like in this heat, we have stayed cooler by the coast. At least it was a good-natured protest to get caught up in! Some of my London friends took their kids along.

Mary Marcotte said...

Don't know what happened to my comment. :(
I love all of your pieces but that Camper Van is by far my favorite. It's just so cute!

Justine said...

What gorgeous things you make Barbara! I'm in awe!

Bethan said...

Such a beautiful camper van! I'm hoping the weather cools down a little before I go to London next week - I'm melting where I live but I know it is warmer there x

Magpie's Mumblings said...

As always, there are fun projects to see when I pay a visit to you!

rosey175 said...

I love the little stitched van! I can imagine the cardboard button would not stand the test of time very well! Will you use it for some other project? And I'm glad you remade your handles to give your bag more time! Such a great feeling fixing something you love up again. :D

Julie said...

The camper van looks sweet and I love the bag, that is so pretty.
Butterfly made a super finish.

Astrids dragon said...

The van looks great, much better than a button!
I love your bag, the colours are great.
Nice finish on the butterfly.