Thank you for your sweet and encouraging comments on my introductory post for "The Endeavourers", I really appreciate them. I am trying to reply but please forgive me if I take a little while replying to all of you ..... most of my waking hours have been taken up with working out how to paint my "Nature" quilt. .... or maybe I should say quiltlet!
When I saw the title "Nature" I thought "Oh, that will be quite easy" ..... Nah!
I found my inspiration photo:
then thought a bit about what I should do, which led to this:
I started out with ideas of drawing the branch with leaves and berries, but soon realised that including leaves would be too complicated in the time I have left!
Then, it just so happened that, around the time I was deciding what to do I received an email from the Surrey Wildlife Trust with an article about Dormice .... problem solved, I thought! But I'm not very good at drawing, so this is my attempt ..... now to work out what colours to use.
First job was to sketch out my pattern:
Then I cut out a 16 1/2" square of muslin ..... but didn't realise that I hadn't pre-washed it, (I normally wash all my fabric as soon as I get it home!) hence after rinsing the fabric it is no longer a square! Oh, and then, I'm sure you know the process ..... after ironing, I traced my pattern onto the fabric.
I found some lovely fabric for a border too ..... sorry no photo yet.
Then, next morning, in a rush to get started I wet the fabric again and started painting! Duuh!!!!! Of course it started seeping!!!!
So last night I did what I should have done in the first place, and made a test piece ..... which turned out perfectly!
But by now I had to abandon my first piece of fabric and start sketching again!
The next job is to paint a tester of the dormouse.
After my problems with the paint I don't think I have any hope of finishing in time for the 1st February, but I'll carry on trying!
I hope you will pop over to visit "The Endeavourers" and see what everyone else is making.
Wish me luck!