Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A shout out to my English and Welsh blogging friends



I wouldn’t normally ask for your help in this way, but I feel this could affect any one of us or our families!

When I visited my Blogger Dashboard this morning I read that the UK Government are currently holding a public consultation into air weapon regulations and that the Cats Protection want us to make ourselves heard.

Cats Protection say:-
  • “UK press reports show that three cats are killed or injured by air guns each week and this is likely to be an underestimate because most attacks are never witnessed or reported,” explains Jacqui Cuff, Cats Protection’s Head of Advocacy & Government Relations. “Worse still, over 90% of these shootings take place in England and Wales where it is legal for anyone over 18 to purchase an air gun and ammunition without the need for a licence.”
  • “These attacks cause immense pain and suffering to cats as well as anguish for their owners and fear in their local communities for the safety of people and pets,” adds Jacqui. “This is an unacceptable state of affairs and we want to see England and Wales follow the example of Scotland and Northern Ireland where it is illegal to own air weapons without a licence.”

Last year the Cats Protection organised a petition which 90,000 people signed asking the government to license air guns in England and Wales. 

I know many of you have young children and pets and I feel sure you must be as concerned as I am about this issue. 

If you haven’t already done so, I hope you will take a few minutes to pop over and visit the blog, where the Cats Protection are asking for as many people as possible to write an email to the government in support of the petition ..... there is an adaptable email ready for sending. (You will be asked for name and address, as is normal for any communication of this type.)

*********

I know there are a lot of bad things happening in the world but I hope you too will feel we should do our bit to try to stop some of them if we can.

So I’m sorry to go “off piste” like this but I hope you will agree with me that it’s important to do our little bit when we can.

Thank you soooo much for reading and I really hope you will feel you can speak out to help too, even if you have signed the petition already, the Cats Protection are asking if you could support the petition with their email.




Hugs,
Barbara xxx

15 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't know how much a word from an American would help, but I'm all for the cause and hope it does. We are having quite a battle over gun control here, but no one ever talks about BB guns. I have a good friend who lost his eye as a child to a BB gun accident. I think there is a war on cats in the US too. Though I'm not a cat lover, I am an animal lover and do what I can to promote animal protection.

I hope your lawmakers listen to the public outcry.
xx, Carol

allthingzsewn said...

I will pray that this petition passes.

allthingzsewn said...

Barbara, I notice you finished the gold work ornament block or mini ind Dec. But I can't find the finish posted. Or have you not posted it yet?

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I have signed. But I was very shocked so I investigated. 202 cats were killed in 2016 and we have 8 million so 0.0025%, which, at least, is fewer than I feared from the headlines. I seriously wonder what is wrong with some people that they would even think of it :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb i pray that this passes to xx

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you for commenting, Carol. It’s nice that you took the trouble to reply to me, but I think, due to regulationary rules it might not count, although maybe every comment helps!
It’s sad that people in both our countries wish to own these guns and use them irresponsibly.
Thank you so much for trying to help.
Hugs, Barbara xx

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you so much, Tonia!
That is so kind of you!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

FlashinScissors said...

Aaaha! I must admit I’ve only shown the finished Goldwork without detailing the latter stages of stitching. I was so excited when I finished, in time to show the bauble on Jo’s Christmas blog hop, I hadn’t thought of explaining how it was stitched.
I will write a post shortly telling you the techniques used, because, it was fun to stitch, and in the end not quite the mystery it had appeared to me before I started.
Thank you for asking.
Barbara xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I hope there is success with the petition, and I have to admit that I was horrified to read this. As far as I'm concerned all forms of guns should be banned but I know that's not about to happen.

Stitching Noni said...

Animal cruelty in any shape or form against any animal is in-excuseable! I do not understand why people think it is ok to shot innocent animals.. and why do they target cats so much? It makes me so angry. All guns should be banned... I understand the relevance for farmers but the every day person does not need one! I wish you/UK all the best with the petition... hopefully the law gets passed and air guns owners are made to follow some rules!

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you for the numbers, Janine!
I hope many more people will sign, the damage these people do affects us all, and I feel so sad for all those families that have lost cats in this way!
Barbara xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Don't forget that many of the cats shot will not make it home again to be included in the numbers.
Cats in the UK roam freely and many just disappear. We will never know if they found a new home or were killed in some way.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Email sent Barbara.It is beyond my comprehension how cruel some people are to other people and to animals.

handmade by amalia said...

You did well, Barbara, raising awareness. This is shocking.
Amalia
xo

Sheryl said...

How awful Barbara, hate guns of all sort, what do people want them for anyway? When we used to live in the country, a young thicky visiting next door neighbours would use an air gun to shoot at the nesting swallows and the horses in the opposite field.