Sunday, January 21, 2018

Yay! I have a finish! - Teeny tiny purse

Hello Dear Friend,

Today I am linking to Amanda’s “Crazy Mom Quilts” for “Finish it up Friday” with my first teeny tiny finish for 2018!


I was making this badge (that's the purple fabric on the right) and had just made a pocket to go on the back (the green check) when a necklace arrived through the post. It's a fox necklace for a friend. But I had the idea of making a teeny pouch similar to the green check pocket for my friend to keep the necklace in.


The fabrics used were Osnaburgh, cotton and flanelette for the lining.


I wanted to stitch this Mini Purse completely by hand, but there were a couple of parts that needed to be machine stitched so the purse won't fall apart with use. The flap was made separately and inserted in the back seam, along with the handles, before being machine stitched in place; and of course the hair elastic needed machining too.







The final measurements were:  3.5" width x 2.25" height x 1" depth

I hope my friend will like it. I did get just a little carried away, what with the embroidery, oh, and I almost forgot to mention, the most important part of it, the toggle was made from a piece of a branch from our own cherry tree, cut and polished by DH!




Hugs,
Barbara xxx


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,what a lovely bag you made I am sure your friend will love it,I also love how your hubby made the toggle,great idea well done my friend xx

Mini said...

The tiny bag turned out lovely. I know how tough it is to sew small things. great upcycling idea for the toggle.

Deepa said...

what a lovely little purse. Barbara, You have to do a tutorial on this.Your DH is a gem to cater to your requests :)

Birthe Marie said...

Oh, this tiny little purse is very cute and such a great lock it has. :-)

KimM said...

This teeny tiny purse is so sweet! Your friend is a lucky lady.
xxx

Clare-Aimetu said...

My that is a mini purse, well done on such a great finish

allthingzsewn said...

So sweet, That would be cute on a shelf to shown all the time

Lin said...

Just stunning Barbara, your friend will love it. And I was going to say how much I loved the toggle even before you mentioned it was from your garden. Gorgeous. xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a wonderful little bag. It is beautiful and having a toggle from your cherry tree makes it even better :)

Justine said...

What a special gift for your friend, made with love!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I have great respect for the challenge of sewing a mini purse!! (I just made a mini Thread Catcher last week.)

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you for the sweet comment!
I really enjoyed making that mini purse! I had intended stitching entirely by hand, but that was before I decided to include one of our “log” closures .... meaning it also needed one of those elastic hair ties stitched into the flap ..... and then it just didn’t look cute enough without a handle, so these things just had to be a little more securely stitched! But I only machine stitched the elastic into the seam of the flap and then again used the machine to attach the flap and handles to the main body.

Btw did your mini thread catcher work out well? Will you show it on your blog? Did you use my tutorial or someone else’s? Were my notes at all helpful?
Hugs, Barbara xx

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Deepa! Not sure about a tutorial ..... don’t know if anyone else is mad enough to make one this tiny, but it was nice of you to ask! Thank you!
Hugs, Barbara xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely little pouch especially with the hand made toggle.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

What a sweet gift! Love the cherry tree branch toggle.

-Soma

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your DH added just the perfect finishing touch! Your friend is going to LOVE this.

grammajudyb said...

What sweet friend you are! It is just lovely!

Sheryl said...

A lovely gift Barbara, I like the added detail of the cherry tree toggle.

Brigitte said...

A very special gift, this tiny little pouch with all its details.

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Amazing! So small. And gorgeous. :-)