Saturday, March 11, 2017

Quilters Laundry Day Blog Hop!

Hello Dear Readers,

Today I'm joining Jen of A Dream and A Stitch, and Jan Holton of Colour Creating & Quilting for their Quilters Laundry Day Blog Hop. Thank you Jen and Jan for organising the hop, it has been great fun stitching this block.

Unfortunately I have run completely out of time, and I only have a flimsy to show although it is ready for quilting. I am not really confident enough to quilt quickly as I haven't done much quilting. I am using a polyester wadding ..... I like a puffy finish to my quilting, but I find it a bit tricky to quilt with this thickness.

I really enjoyed stitching this gorgeous free pattern, designed by Jen Rosin. However my sewing machine completely slowed me down ..... the needle shaft isn't quite straight, meaning I have to be very careful stitching my seams, to stitch them the correct width. So, I was really pleased with the way my little block has turned out, and even with the way the back looked!!! It all measured up perfectly!


My lovely finished seams! Yay!


I thought a "Friendship Star" block would be really appropriate for the blog hop! 


4 1/2" / 5" Friendship Star


But, whoops! .... I stitched a 4 1/2" pattern which worked out at 5", then I couldn't find a 4" pattern .... so I drew the block to scale, and used the measurements from the larger block, taking 1/8" and a titchy bit off each measurement! It worked! Yay!

Finished 4" Friendship Star ..... Yay!

 I was really pleased how well all the critical little pieces went together:

New to me - Trimmed diagonal squares!

Look how those pieces went together!



Finished house!


The hop is running over two days ..... 10th and 11th March.


Backing fabric, with binding!

I found it very difficult to take a picture without a lot of shadow!

House shown with proposed binding fabric
That's the fabric I will use for  binding, behind the house!
Do visit some (if you can't visit all!) of the other participants ..... there is some wonderful quilting to see! You will be amazed how this block looks so different depending on the fabrics other people have used. Most of them have been quilted too!

March 10 Reveal Day

Jen Rosin  A Dream and a Stitch
Kate Heads at Smiles From Kate
Jennifer Fulton at Inquiring Quilter
Karen Thurn at Tu-Na Quilts, Travels and Eats

Melva Nolan at Melva Loves Scraps
Vicki at Vicki's Crafts & Quilting
Julie Stocker at Pink Doxies
Anja Clyke at Anja Quilts
Diann at Little Penguin Quilts
Jayne at Twiggy & Opal
Susan Arnold at Quilt Fabrication
Leanne Milsom at Lizzie the Quilter
Sandra Walker at Mmm! Quilts!



March 11 Reveal Day

Janice Holton at Color Creating & Quilting
Jennifer Strauser at Dizzy Quilter
Amy Gerlich at Amy Scrap Spot
Sharon Denney Parcel at Yellow Cat Quilt Designs
Susan Gordon at Sevenoaks Street Quilts
Anne Boundy at Said With Love
Barbara Wootie at The Flashing Scissors
Jan Welander at Making Scraps
Mary Marcotte at Fleur de Lis Quilts


As this is a "Finished" block I am also linking to Crazy Mum Quilts for "Finish it up Friday".





Hugs,

Barbara


41 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

A great finish in time for sring!

Alice Samuel's Quilt Co said...

Well done, figuring out a way around your mini mini quilt is really clever. I'm sure it'll be just great when it's completed. It's cute as is too

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Such a gorgeous block! I love everything about it. Bravo for sewing the star to the desired measurements. (This is something that would have left me mentally exhausted... lol )

rosemaryschild said...

Love your little quilt!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Great job Barb, and it should make a lovely finish. You're right not to rush the quilting. Have fun with this and take your time. This hop has been so inspirational! Can't wait to see your finish.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh, I don't think I realized how far we are into March until I read this POST!! I love your block with the house and star. Can't wait until I'm up and around and stitching again.
xx, Carol

jann said...

love the colors you used...great job on resizing the little mini. It turned out great!

Sew Much For Free Time said...

Take your time and enjoy the finish! It's very cute so far.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

It's almost there Barbara. Your colours are lovely, what a good idea to use a friendship star, and you did so well in making it a second time. The dark purple is perfect for the binding, it frames it beautifully. I will look forward to seeing it again

Jen said...

I am so glad you were able to adjust that Friendship Star so it would fit. It looks fantastic! It's good to take your time with the quilting and have fun with it. :) Thanks for joining us!

Ioleen said...

Love your colours. This is going to be beautiful when finished.

Nancy J said...

A friendship star with windows to match, purples ( one of my favourite colours) and the mauves and pink, perfect all over.

Janice Holton said...

Barbara, I love your gingham house! This turned out really cute and please make sure to send me a picture when it is all completed so I can include it in the gallery! (i haven't created that yet, but I will!)

Jen Strauser said...

Your flimsy is darling. Sewing machine challenges are the worst. I hope you can have yours straightened out for you.

Susan said...

Love your color choices!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Love your cute little house with the quilt on the washing line!

allthingzsewn said...

Your little flimsy is quit good, sweet friendship star. I think I'm going over to visit your post about Lilly. Have a great day.

allthingzsewn said...

Barbera, I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with your friend Pat at Lilly My Cat.
Thought I just say so.

Julie said...

Little Pink Houses! Oh, yeah! I think you've done a knock down job on your flimsy, but totally appreciate your anticipation about the quilting job. Take your time, and do have some wine with it. You'll do a stellar job. Done is better than perfect, too.

Christine B said...

What a pretty little quilt Barbara! I am sure you will have it quilted in no time! It is going to be so sweet to hang in your home! Hope you are having a lovely weekend! Christine x

Lori said...

this is so sweet. it will look fabulous when completed

JanineMarie said...

Yea for you, resizing that block on the fly. This is so cute and will look lovely quilted.

Leanne said...

Your quilt is lovely,

Kerryp77 said...

Lovely work and well done for getting the star to the right size. I'm hopeless at that kind of thing.

Queeniepatch said...

Good work! You are getting more and more professional as a quilter, now you can even change the size of a pattern!
Lovely colours and neat piecework. Puffy quilting is difficult, but charming.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is so cute! I love the pink and purple! I did the same thing with my mini quilt block the first time - made it 5", thinking it should finish at 4.5! So now I have an extra little orphan block to do something with.

Chris of UK City Crafter said...

What a lovely block, very impressed with all your matching up and your friendship star is perfect for a blog hop.

Emily said...

Pretty! And like the choice of Friendship Star for your quilt on the line!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your quilting is beautiful

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think it looks great - and you are very brave to show us the back!!

Sandra Walker said...

That roof fabric is perfect! Love how you finagled the mini-mini quilt to make it fit, good work!

Mary Marcotte said...

Oddly, I've never read or heard "a titchy bit" but somehow I feel that I know precisely how much that might be. Forgive me, I'm an English teacher, so there's no possible way for me to move past such a fun phrase. I have a feeling that some deep south kiddos will hear that tomorrow morning!

The quilt, well Barbara, that is just adorable. I love that your window curtains and quilt center match. That tells me the quilter in the house can also sew...a great combination for those of us who like scraps.

Said With Love said...

I love your friendship star quilt :)

Rachel said...

Cute quilt!! I like the padded look to the design :)

Have a great week!

Sheryl said...

This is gorgeous Barbara, love the colours you have chosen and especially the roof fabric. perfect.

AmyScrapSpot said...

I love this block! Your fabrics are too adorable and that mini mini is so cute! Good job downsizing it a bit! =D

Lynne Stucke said...

Cute as can be! I especially love your binding choice. (....do I get the idea that you have a thing about purple?????) (Great color -- Geaux, LSU!) (lynnstck[at]yahoo.com)

Brigitte said...

Your little block is just gorgeous. I love the house with the flowers in the windows and the sweet little quilt on the clothesline.

handmade by amalia said...

I always admire your work, Barbara, not just your skill but the way you balance color and pattern, so so beautiful.
Amalia
xo

Kaisievic said...

What a gorgeous block, Barbara, and it sounds like you were very meticulous in the making of it.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

The block is fab, but the thought of "taking 1/8" and a titchy bit off each " Sends shivers down my spine!