Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"Theme-tas-stitch 2017" - March Madness!!!!

Hello my friends,

Today I am joining in with Kerry over at Ramblings of a Biscornu Addict for her "March Madness"! ..... because it tickled me when I read about the idea, and I just had to have a go!!!

By the way, if you don't know what a Biscornu is, you will see one or two in Kerry's blog header as soon as you visit. You will also be able to read more about Kerry's themes for each month! Look in her header bar for the category "Theme-tas-stitch 2017" ! I think it's a really great idea to have a different target each month .... well done Kerry for sharing!

**********

The idea for March was to work on as many projects as possible.

My first project for March was something totally new to me!

This was a workshop, entitled "Printing for Quilting", held by my local Handicraft Group, (and I will blog about it in a separate post) so, for now, I'll just say: it was block printing onto fabric ..... tell you more in a few days.

Printing for Quilting Workshop
The fabrics you can see here were my attempts!

The yellow and green fabrics were scraps I had tie dyed a couple of years ago at a Summer Workshop, which I thought might look better with some printing. Not terribly good photos .... you can't really see my printing very well!

Printing for Quilting Workshop
This one is mine too - destined to become a book cover ....
one day!

********

Then I joined in with a wonderful blog hop: Quilter's Laundry Day blog hop ..... it was such fun! You can read all about it in this post!

I met lots of bloggers I didn't know, and rediscovered a few I'd found earlier, and had lost track of! Shows how important it is to "follow" those blogs you enjoy! 

Quilter's Laundry Day


*******

After all the patchwork, and basting I wasn't sure how to actually quilt my block, hence I cut out, and basted an 11" practise block (basically a sandwich of 2 calico squares with polyester wadding in between them).

Quilting practice block - basted

But I panicked when I found I couldn't FMQ (Free Motion Quilt), despite covering the feed dogs and using an embroidery foot!

Embroidery foot and feed dog cover


Quilting Disaster Strikes!
It was pretty disastrous!

Quilting Disaster Strikes - Yikes!
Such a waste of cotton!

********

On my train journeys I was able to stitch a little more of my tulips in vase project, (mostly the stems)

Cross stitch - Vase of Tulips


********

and, on last Friday's journey I started this project .....

Cross stitch - Heritage Kit - Butterflies


********

Stitching in the evening, I added a few leaves around the little blue flowers on this one!

Cross stitch - Rosebud pattern by Jane Greenoff


********

And yesterday I was working on "Cocoa Sampler"

Cross stitch - Cocoa Sampler
It took ages just adding the heart
surrounded by purple stitches (not blue)!

Oh dear, only seven projects, I thought I would do more, I had another cross stitch kit poised ready to stitch, but "reporting in" date was yesterday, so all stitching is on hold for now! 

I haven't been able to work on the number of projects Kerry has! Tee hee! But, it was fun seeing how many I could stitch in March ..... and the month isn't over yet!

Now I'm off to do some visiting, and see what everyone else is stitching! Why don't you come and have a look too, at 

Kerry's Ramblings of a Biscornu Addict for "Theme-tas-stitch 2017"

but don't forget to say "Hi" here first! Tee hee!!!!!

I look forward to hearing from you, and I especially love to know if I've given you that little push to join in somewhere along the way! (Smiles ... tee hee!)



Hugs,
Barbara xxx


23 comments:

Christine B said...

Looks like you have been having a busy month Barbara! Love all your pretty projects.... and I love the block printing... so nice to try new techniques! Off to go and visit the link you gave us now! Christine x

Mii Stitch said...

Hi Barbara!! You have had a very productive busy month. The block printing look so cool & I like what I'm seeing on your photos :)

Queeniepatch said...

You sure have been busy working both on several cross stitch projects, machine quilting and printing.
I hope you master the machine quilting. Isn't is some problem with the tension?

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Queenie!

Yes, the loops are telling me that ..... and I guess it is probably a combination of using the plastic feed dog cover, and not having the correct needle tension, but I'm not too sure where to start to correct it. I'll have to have another play later.

Barbara x

Tiffstitch said...

Nice stitching on everything and hope you can sort out the quilting. The printing looks very interesting.

Justine said...

I'd say you'd had a mad month, especially with the quilting! Lovely to see the cocoa sampler again, I do like that one.

Kerryp77 said...

So many lovely projects. The cocoa sampler is very sweet. The quilting is lovely too. Thanks for joining in and the fab introduction.

Melinda Forbes said...

I think 7 projects is very good. I do not quilt myself but love seeing other crafters work. Thank you for sharing

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

7 projects sounds like plenty to be going on with! You have some beautiful work. The printing sounds really interesting and looks great and I love your house quilt and cross stitching :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice start to the madness. You also have quite a variety of crafts, not just stitching!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Lovely stuff there - especially the printing!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You've been a busy girl! So sorry you're having issues with your machine foot - this just popped up in my pinterest feed and I thought you might find something helpful... http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/darning-foot.html (sorry - don't know how to make the link 'live'). Anyway...hope it helps!

Brigitte said...

Not bad at all, Barbara, you have been working on many different projects this month. And as you say, the month isn't over yet so there is still time for one or two more projects. I would have liked to join Kerry's great monthly event, too but knowing that I won't have a lot of time until the second half of the year I decided to wait. And look what all the others work on during the the first six months.

FlashinScissors said...

I searched google for help, unsuccessfully before.
I've had a quick peek at your link, and this seems to be just what I need!
Thank you, Mary Anne!
Barbara x

Sheryl said...

Gosh Barbara, what a lot of work done this month, pretty embroidery and interesting printing technique.

Rita said...

The fabric printing is amazing!

Josie said...

I haven't tried fabric printing, so looking forward to learning more in your next post!

Rachel said...

All your projects look great :) 7 projects is good amount!!

Can't wait to see your post on fabric printing. It sounds interesting :)

Kaisievic said...

Wow! Looks like you have been superbusy on some great projects, Barbara.

handmade by amalia said...

I'l admit that when I got up this morning I never expected Biscornu to be my new word of the day, but I like it. And, as always, all your makes. You've been busy again my friend!
Amalia
xo

Mini said...

What a beautiful mix of crafting projects you have shown here. I love all your cross stitching projects.

Tammy said...

My goodness, so many gorgeous projects. I'd say 7 is plenty. They will all keep you busy, that's for sure. I now know what a biscornu is because of Mini. :)

Kim said...

Oh my, you have been busy. You have some gorgeous pretties on the go. Love the little house block and your cross stitch projects are delightful. Just visiting your lovely blog from way down at the bottom of the world...so happy I did.