Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Day 12 of Jo's On-Line Advent Calendar Blog Hop - 2017

Every year "Jo who can't think of a clever nickname" holds a seasonal blog hop, and this year a "few" of us are joining her for .....


However, some of you may not know Jo, so let me explain:

Jo's blog, Serendipitous Stitching, is all about Cross Stitch ..... in a big way! Pop over to have a look ..... later, (she has links to freebie cross stitch patterns too, so if you think you would like to cross stitch take a peek at the files in her header!).

**********

Soooo ...... here is my Day 12 .....

The Flashing Scissors

As in previous years, Jo has asked us to display a piece of Christmas stitching .....

When I picked up my Goldwork piece again recently I found I had lost my meticulously written instructions, but I was able to check with our tutor at my Handicraft group for guidance. For more info on starting Goldwork follow this link. You can see here where I left my stitching last December.

After speaking to our tutor I was able to continue stitching right up to last night to finish. I couldn't take photos then ..... and now, although it's  frosty, it's a brilliantly sunny day ...... just right for photos!

I really meant to be finished well before today, but things didn't go according to plan! Maybe they will next year!?!

The Flashing Scissors

It was very hard to take a clear photo, showing all the aspects of the Goldwork!

The Flashing Scissors
The little circles were tricky at first, but
once I knew what I was doing, it was quite fun!

The Flashing Scissors
Another view because the light reflected
on the Goldwork better here!

and now, to answer the second question from Jo: "What are your plans and traditions for Boxing Day?"

We don't really have any great family tradition, but I remember that, before I married, when I lived with my parents, we used to have my Mum's Mum come to visit one day and my father's parents would come the next day ..... not that they didn't get on or anything, it was just the way it was!

My Mum and her Mum (Nan) used to make: Christmas Pudding, Christmas cake, mince pies, sausage rolls, and Dundee cake, as well as the main meal of roast turkey, roast potatoes, stuffing and “all the trimmings”. There was so much food it kept us going for weeks afterwards ..... I think it was really so Mum didn't have to cook over Christmas! Tee hee!

There was lots of TV viewing, of course, and card playing ..... we played Newmarket too, Jo! and, as kiddies, it was such fun winning all the pennies, and lots of other board games ..... oh and, Cluedo too!

These days Christmas is a lot quieter! My mum and sister come to visit over both days and we have a Vegetarian Christmas lunch, and then play cards, or possibly Rummikub this year (using my new Game Piece Bag which you may have seen on the previous post!).

Boxing day was pretty much more of the same.

That's about all I can say I'm afraid, so thank you for stopping by today, and now, if you haven’t already visited, here's the link to:


Many thanks Jo, for all your work organising us all again this Christmas.


Tell me, what Christmas traditions do you have?







Wishing you all a Very Happy Christmas,

Hugs from Barbara xxx


And tomorrow it's Christine of  "The Alchemist's Study

21 comments:

Pamela said...

A pretty ornament, and a nice memory.

Elfie said...

Your goldwork ornament is very pretty. You did a mighty job stitching it without instructions. I've often been tempted to try goldwork, but I haven't attempted it yet. I enjoyed reading about your Boxing Day memories.

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Elfie,
Apologies I should have said that I spoke to our tutor and she refreshed my memory on what to do next. I will edit my post to include that.
This was a fairly simple start I think, and I will definitely look out for more Goldwork to stitch.
Barbara xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. The goldwork is beautiful. I did start a piece many years ago but never finished it!
I love how similar our Boxing Days were, Newmarket is THE game to play!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Wow! Love the gold work! We spread Christmas over three days - Christmas Eve, the Norwegian way, with my mum, Christmas Day the 4 of us and the girls go off to their boys sometime, and Boxing Day at S-i-L - generally 18 of us from M-i-L at 90 down to the twins at 3.5 ... chaos!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara ,wow your goldwork looks so pretty,we dont really have any traditions in our family,some of the men folk will go to the boxing day cricket ,while some of the women go to the boxing day sales,lol xx

rosey175 said...

Hello from Jo's Advent blog hop~ I didn't know what Dundee cake was; after Googling it, it looks great haha. Your goldwork is lovely and very festive!

Queeniepatch said...

What a fantastic piece of gold work! Well done, you!
Have a great Christmas.

Justine said...

Merry Christmas to you Barbara! Your goldwork is stunning.

Sheryl said...

Gorgeous gold work Barbara and interesting to hear about how you spend Christmas and Boxing days. Happy Christmas to you.

Christine said...

Wow, that goldwork bauble is gorgeous!

Christine B said...

Beautiful Goldwork Barbara and a lovely details of how you used to spend Christmas. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and New Year this year Barbara! Christine xx

Astrids dragon said...

So beautiful! I love how the light makes it look totally different.
Happy Christmas to you!

beadgirl said...

The goldwork is beautiful; what a fabulous ornament it will make. Merry Christmas!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your goldwork looks wonderful - it's something I've never tried. And I love your Day 12 door!!

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

What a beautiful ornament Barbara,lovely gold work.
Happy Christmas

jocondine said...

Great golden ornament, so delicate work, lovely! Joyeux Noël ! xxx

Brigitte said...

I'm a littlest behind with reading and commenting on the blog hop post. But I'm catching up today.
A nice stitched piece that you chose for this post. Wonderful to look at. Our second Christmas holiday (we don't have Boxing Day) has always been a day to play with the children when they were still little and to relax when we grew older, lol.

DJ said...

What a lovely ornament! It looks beautiful with the light shining on it like that! I've been tempted to try goldwork, and this just makes me want to even more so! How lovely that you are close enough to have family visit. I hope you enjoy your Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Katie said...

Hello I'm popping over with the blog hop. Thanks for sharing your beautiful gold work ornament and your traditions.

Anna van Schurman said...

Sorry to be visiting so late, but the Christmas crush was crazy. Your goldwork is wonderful!