Sunday, September 01, 2019

Friendly Challenge 116 - Cactus

Belatedly I am showing you my Cactus project:
theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk
I had hoped I would have this finished for the Friendly Challenge ..... but unfortunately I have had problems with my back, and been unable to sleep very much, meaning I was unable to work on my stitching or spend time at the computer writing this post. 


I had intended writing another one of my tutorials!! Tee hee! but I'm sure you all know how to make a bag by now! I used lots of different stitches and had wanted to list them all ..... but as it is painful to sit for too long I am trying to keep this short (you ought to see a long post!! tee hee!)



My fabric is Osnaburg, lined with cotton wadding because it is a nice combination for embroidery ..... you can hide cotton ends in the wadding easily! The only down-side is that Osnaburg frays terribly. When I have more time I would normally hem stitch the edges before starting.

Osnaburg is what they call a utility fabric, useful for tea towels, serviettes and the like. It is also very good for embroidery ..... because of its open weave.

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk
Reverse of work - finishing stitches in cotton wadding

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk


theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk


Not quite finished! Just need to stitch the lining in place, complete one handle, then stitch both handles in position.


I had hoped to join the Friendly Challenge No 116 being held at El Taller de L'Ana.

Perhaps you will come along with me to see what other friends have made for the day!


Apologies for being late Ana! I kept thinking I would finish in time .....




Hugs,
Barbara xx

25 comments:

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

What a lovely embroidery, Barbara!
It is an excellent job with a detailed step by step.
Greetings from Spain.

Ysnelda Solano said...

Hola !!!
Muy hermoso trabajo, felicitaciones.
Un abrazo.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb wow i love your cactus stitcheries and turning them into a bag ,it looks fabulous,you are very clever my friend ,well done on your beautiful work xx

Pamela said...

What a sweet little bag! The cactus embroidery is perfect!

Sandra Walker said...

That is just so adorable! Great picture tutorial too; I'm impressed! Your embroidery is just wonderful. :-)

Anaisa said...

Que lindo quedó tu bordado y la bolsa terminada preciosa para llevar la merienda, nada como lo hecho a mano!!

Besitos!!

Celtic Thistle said...

What neat stitching Barbara! Hope your back improves and you get a decent nights sleep soon.

Kim said...

This is such a pretty bag and the embroidery is lovely. Great tutorial. I hope your back heals very soon. Take care.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your stitching is lovely and this bag is so cute. Best wishes for your back to be better.
xx, Carol

Mary Ann Tate said...

That is a fabulous little bag :) Hope your back gets better. Nothing worse that a bad back.

MARIELA Inspirada said...

Hi Barbara! These are lovely embroidered cactus! I hope you feel better now for finish this nice bag. I see you take care of every detail while you are stitchings so it takes more time, too. I love all the stitches you've made in your cactus project! Besitos...

Faith... said...

What cute cacti! You did a great job on them. I do hope you are feeling better now but either way don't over do it; back pain comes back quickly and unexpectedly.

Lin said...

Lovely Barbara! Sorry to hear you have more back problems, hope it improves soon. xx

Let's Get Sewing said...

These look so good! Embroidery is so fun to do.

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Tú bolsa bordada con cactus es muy bonita, se nota el trabajo bien hecho.

Espero que tengas mejor tu espalda.

BESOS

Diana Moriel said...

I hope you're feeling much better, what a gorgeous embroidery work! The finished product is absolutely beautiful, I love your bag!

Astrids dragon said...

So close to being finished, it's going to look wonderful. You continue to make it look easy, but not for me!

Creando y Fofucheando said...

Holaaa Bárbara! que bonita bolsa de cactus,es un trabajo precioooso
Me ha gustado mucho,quiero una asi,jajajaja,
Eres una artista!
Muchos besos :)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a lovely bag. I hope your back is better or getting better :)

East Coast Stitcher said...

Love those bags and Love the stitching. I have used Osnaburg before to cross stitch a little pillow and have another I want to do.

Looking forward to seeing more post

East Coast Stitcher aka Christie's Cross Stitch Creations

Raewyn said...

A lovely bag Barbara and a great use of your cactus stitcheries. The peek of green out the top is a nice touch. I hope your back gets better soon. I read your post on Tumeric dying with interest.... have you discovered the way to keep the colour in your next attempts?

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely embroidery and another great bag.

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Lovely handstitching. I particularly like the cactus flower! Have a beautiful and painkess week!

Pamela said...

Super finish! You will love using this bag.

Sheryl said...

A lovely bag Barbara and so useful. Sorry to hear about the back pain and hope you will be better soon.