Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Cactus Bag - Finished! and a couple of "Squirrels"

Hello my friends,

First of all, thank you all for your kind comments wishing me well with my back troubles ....... all much appreciated, and just to let you know I'm a lot better at the moment and I am now able to catch up on lost sleep.

I haven't wanted to look at a computer screen because my eyes have been so tired and as soon as I do look they want to close, and I'm asleep again! 


~~~~~~~~~~


We had a little sunshine the other day, so I popped into the garden with my newly finished cactus bag (from my last post), and had my own little photo shoot session .....

If any photos look a little blurred
 just click on the photo to see them a little clearer.
Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk
Just right for carrying my crochet projects!
Have I mentioned? I've been crocheting this year, and I've actually finished a couple of things!!! A teeny Back Pack (pink and green), a Scottie Dog and, not quite finished, a camper van. It's been fun, and I seem to have acquired bought quite a few balls of cotton, so there are likely to be a few more crocheted projects in future.

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk


~~~~~~~~~~


I was meaning to carry on with my cross stitch Cocoa Sampler, but one thing leads to another, and I found myself chasing a metaphorical squirrel! Which fits in nicely with Sandra's meme: DrEAMi "Drop Everything And Make it" Pop over to Sandra's blog HERE to see what I'm talking about. There's lots of lovely patchwork to see. The meme is held at the end of each month. 

 I am saying this is a "possible" Squirrel because it such a small one! Which is why I'm a little embarrassed  to add it to the party, but I'm just saying this has been my squirrel this month! Tee hee!


(Sorry Astrid, if you are looking in, I will have some cross stitching here soon!)


Soooo ..... to get back to the story, I have this new bed ..... with a remote control which will assist me to sit up or lay down in bed ....

after a few days of using the bed I realised my fingers were hurting. At first I didn't realise why. Then it suddenly came to me that the plastic cased remote control was so slippery that I was gripping it  tightly most of the night. I was worried I might drop the controls and not be able to raise or lower the bed should I need to.

Soooo, I decided the remote needed a cosy 
to stop it slipping from my hand .....

therefore the "squirrel" making commenced!

I had a bag of scraps my sister gave me and my idea was to use pieces from those scraps, which worked quite well and I only needed to add a small piece of plain pink to them. It's lined with some of that non slip plastic to stop the controls slipping out ..... but, with hindsight, I don't think that was really necessary! I stitched down either side by hand ..... tricky stitching through the non slip plastic, but do-able. The handle was Osnaburg again, my favourite fabric.

The patchwork went together very quickly. I started at lunch time and I wanted to have it done ready to use that night. I did finish it the same day ...... but don't ask what time it was ...... well into the wee small hours (which wasn't really a good idea in the circumstances).

The patchwork pieces were stitched onto cotton wadding,
Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk
ends folded in, and hand stitched together along the edges
Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

As you can see I added a handle, but really it's in the wrong place ..... so, when I've finished the next squirrel I'll be taking the handle off and moving it to to the bottom RH side (of the pink pieces) which should be much more convenient!

Anyhow, the cover does the job and the controls haven't slipped off the bed once! Yay!!
So I'm sleeping much better now!


~~~~~~~~~~


 I'm already working on my next project. A little cushion cover (and I do mean little, it's approximately 9.5" x 8.25") which I just had to make after seeing the cushion Patty made over on her blog: Elm Street Quilts (HERE)

My colours are a little pale, but they match the remote cover, as it will be a cushion for the bed.

Theflasingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

I think my draft pattern (on the right of the photo) actually looks better than the finished cushion, but maybe the quilting will pull it together better. 



See you soon. Happy Stitching!!!




Hugs,
Barbara xxx

26 comments:

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

Hello barbara!
What a joy to read you again!
Your patchwork and crochet works are so ideal.
Greetings from Spain

Anaisa said...

Unos trabajos muy lindos, el bolso, el crochet me gusta el bolsito color rosa y una excelente idea el protector del control me parece genial!!

Besotes y feliz semana!!

Diana Moriel said...

Beautiful work! Love everything!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb good to have you back again,glad you are feeling better now.
Wow look at all your beautiful work,well done my friend and i hope your day is a good one xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your little cactus tote! Such a fun design! And what a good idea to make a holder for your remote, too - so helpful. A squirrel that is useful is the best kind!

Lin said...

Your cactus bag looks great on location and your little crochet items are so cute. Great idea for the control thingy - glad you are sleeping better and your back is feeling better. xx

Queeniepatch said...

You have a lot going on. It's good to have one's hands full but don't skip on sleep!
Is there smocking in the pot/basket the cactus is in?

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great idea to make a cosy! I love your cactus bag. Before my Carpal Tunnel Surgery I was crocheting too. I finished a small blanket in time before the surgery and have bought a few skeins of yarn for another. I have plenty of yarn in my stash, but of course I NEEDED this new colorway! Terry was complaining about our mattress and back aches. We got a new mattress and vawla...no back issues.
xx, Carol

chrisknits said...

What a great solution to a problem! And the cushion is going to be adorable.

Sandra Walker said...

So glad you were able to link up this very important squirrel! Having lately suffered with some cramping myself in the middle fingers (yep there’s a good joke there ha) caused I think by sleeping with my hand in a fist under my pillow I know all about the unhappy hands! Glad your back is getting better too. Some lovely work here as always.

Pamela said...

You have a wonderful outdoor place to sit and stitch or crochet. What a great idea for your bed control!

Christine B said...

Hello Barbara! Haven't had much time for blogging this Summer so I hadn't realised you have been under the weather but I am glad to hear you are sleeping better and hence feeling better now! Love your little cactus bag and the crochet projects. Continue to feel better! Have a lovely weekend! Christine xx

Kim said...

Your bed sounds fabulous. I hope it helps with the recovery of your back. The bed remote control cover is a great idea. You certainly have lots of pretty things to be seen here. The cushion cover is going to be lovely.

Sheryl said...

What pretty colours you have used for your remote control cosy, such a good idea.

Ana María said...

Hermosos todos tus trabajos, felicidades!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A brilliant solution for the escapee controller! I wonder if attaching it to your headboard in some way would help too?? And....I love you wee bag!!

Ulrikes Smaating said...

Hej Barbara,
your cactusbag is really cute! so beautiful work! greetings from denmark, Ulrike :0)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I'm glad your back is better. Lovely to all the projects you're working on. I think your control cover is a great idea :)

Pumukymanualidades said...

Hola Paso a saludarte y a comentarte que para participar en mi sorteo tienes que ser
Seguidora de mi blog y enlazar el Logo del sorteo.....
Espero lo puedas hacer.
Saludos

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The cactus bag is lovely and the control holder is a great idea too.

Faith... said...

Glad you are feeling a bit better and that your new bed is helping! Nice cover on the remote and the little pillows will make a cute addition!

Sparkle5 said...

Love your cactus bag Barbara, it is as neat as all your other wonderful makes. Clever lady and looking forward to seeing your next project.

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, “Unknown”.
The cactus bag has already been really useful to carry those little things around the house (keys, phone, etc).
It was nice of you to take the time to leave me such a kind comment!
Wishing you a happy week!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Sparkle5 said...

Fabulous Barbara now you've finished it. Xx

Gio P. Cruz said...

Me encanta la bolsa de cactus, y los detalles a crochet son muy bonitos.
Un gran abrazo!!
Gio.

eclectichomelife said...

Ahhh, I recognise that little crochet Scottie dog brooch, lovely, yours did turn out well in the end! I am back to blogging again every day in December and noticed your comment about how you followed my link from the Scottie dog. sorry, your back has been troubling you, I know all about that, have had to have 2 back operations in the last 7 years. Sending hugs your way, Selma x