Sunday, June 03, 2018

Finish It Off Friday / DrEAMi! and Easy way to reply to Blogger Comments


Hello Dear Friend,

Today I am linking to Amanda’s “Crazy Mom Quilts” for “Finish it up Friday” and Sandra Walker's "DrEAMi!" party as this is a project I just had to Drop Everything And Make It!

Firstly, I was planning on linking this finish next week and then I realised Amanda will be on holiday, so I hope you will forgive me for linking with an "almost finish".

And secondly, this was a DrEAMi! project I just couldn't put down! Sandra, forgive me, I know it isn't strictly quilting, but I did use patchwork fabric so I hope you don't mind if I shoehorn this in as it has quite a few 1/4" seams? and lots of stitches, albeit cross stitches.

The Flashing Scissors

The magazine provided the pattern, cottons, evenweave fabric, felt and spotty pink fabric. I have added a lining and will add a strap handle before I'm finished (which is why I'm not quite finished).

The Flashing Scissors

Here you can see some of my scrap fabric, cut, ready to make the strap.

The Flashing Scissors







My phone is smaller than most, so I was able to cut off a strip of the spotty fabric which I will use to bind the top.

The Flashing Scissors

We had visitors today so I haven't been able to FFO (Fully Finish Off) but I intend to stitch the Flamingo onto the phone case using hem stitch, either in pink, or green to match the grass. The pattern said to use a white running stitch to add the Flamingo, but as my case is smaller I think I either need to hem stitch it in place or use some bias binding .... not sure which, because the evenweave is a little rough and I don't want it catching on things in my bag.

Not sure which colour to go with, what do you think?

I couldn't resist stitching this pattern when I saw it in Cross Stitcher. Then, once I had started I wanted to try to be the first to finish! They have a competition where the person to send in the first photograph of their completed project wins a nice pack of embroidery flosses. Well I never really thought I'd be first to finish ..... and, of course, I wasn't ..... but once I started I just had to finish! So, hence this has been my squirrel which I just couldn't drop for any other project!




~~~~~~~~~


While writing I felt I just had to mention an easier way to respond to Blogger comments!!



I do wonder if Blogger will be able to give us back the facility for emails advising when we receive
new comments? Or is the lack of emails caused by GDPR? Either way, Blogger certainly do seem to
be having a few problems at the moment. (Edited: I just read on Jo’s blog that emails should be back
within a week)

Jo of Serendipitous Stitching tells us that after “publishing” your latest post if you comment on your own post and tick “notify” in due course you will then receive notification of any future comments on that blog post, albeit those emails will be “no reply”,  but you can use that email notification to reply to the “commentor”, assuming you already know their email address.


But take it one step further! If you reply to comments on your blog:

  1. You keep everyone in the loop, and
  2. You get an email to send to the “commentor” with that reply at the same time!
  3. Although you will need to reply by using “Forward” as the email you receive will again be “no reply” (Edited 6.6.18)


Seems easy enough to me. What do you think? Does it help you?






Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter!

Hugs, Barbara xxx

and              DrEAMi 

24 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Your phone will travel in a very nice Flamingo pouch!
For the Herringbone I'd use either white thread for a discreet look or green for a framed look.

Kim said...

I love your gorgeous in pink, Flamingo! Thanks for the blogger information. Let's hope Blogger can iron out it's problems soon.

Christine said...

Your flamingo case is just lovely

Christine B said...

Love your phone case Barbara! Have a lovely week! Christine x

Sandra Walker said...

The only problem with replying on your blog is that the only people who do see your responses are those who may leave a comment after you've responded to a previous comment. I never EVER go back to a blog to see if a blogger answered me there, and if they don't repond by email to me if I've left a comment after a second time, then I don't go back and read their blog anymore. Peronsal responses are best imho. Your phone case is so elegant! Definitely a DrEAMi! no apologies or shoehorning necessary :-) and thanks for linking it up!

Celtic Thistle said...

What a swish case for your phone there will be no chance of losing that bright pink flamingo in the bottom of a bag!

Lin said...

The flamingo looks great - going to be a beautiful case. xx

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

What a lovely phone case.I love pinks and they contrast beautifully with grass.

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Queenie.
Having debating the edging colour here and with my “actual” stitching buddies I’m now wondering whether to cover the edges of the evenweave with a narrow ribbon, instead of stitching ..... might be more sure of covering its scratchy edges, and maybe even using black, which would echo the dots and his beak.
Hugs, Barbara xx
(Guess who forgot to add my own comment first, so that I am notified of comments!)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Congrats on finishing this lovely flamingo. It looks great :)

Clare-Aimetu said...

Love the pink flamingo and your finishing fabric.

Yes Blogged is making it difficult to reply to comments, hopefully it will return soon

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Kim.
Blogger are saying it should be sorted within the week!
Hope so.
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Brigitte said...

That phone case will look awesome with the pink flamingo. I hope you will show the complete phone case in your next post.

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Christine!
Sorry to be late replying.
Hoping the commenting will be back to normal soon.
Hugs, Barbara xx

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Christine!
Sorry to be slow replying.
Hope you are having a great week.
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Mia said...

FABULOUS phone case, Barbara. The flamingo is adorable! Kisses, my friend.
PS: This happens with Blogger because of the GDPR, but this problem will be resolved soon (I think). In the meantime, you just write your first comment to your post and then press "notify me". That's it! And you will get emails with the comments on your post! Kisses!!!!!!!!

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you Sandra.
I know what you mean, but my thought was that by replying on the blog to something topical it might help others to be able to read our replies and after writing this response, for example, a copy will be sent to my email box which I can then reply to the commentor by hitting “Forward” instead of email and entering their email address (of course that’s if you have it!). It just needs new commentors to leave their email address with their comment, in the following format: theflashingscissors (at) gmail (dot) com.
Hugs, 😉
Barbara xx

Louise said...

Barbara, your flamingo is just DARLING! I love how saucy his plumage is, like he's just shaking his tail feathers :)
louise dot hornor at gmail

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I like the Dreami acronym, very clever and so true of some projects.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish the case now.

I agree with Sandra about not returning to re-read blogs but if you are using that to send the email it's one way of making it work for you.
I often include more personal stuff in my email replies though!

handmade by amalia said...

I love the pink flamingo! Such a cutie. And thanks for the blogger tips. I hope that there is a good solution, I miss the conversations.
Amalia
xo

Julie said...

So bright and cheerful, its going to be so useful and personal.

rosey175 said...

Lovely flamingo! I would go with green simply because there's enough pink as-is, not that I'm biased against pink or anything, nooo ;)

I will go back to a blog to see the response if I remember it's a blog where they do that! Not everyone does, and it's hard to remember who does what haha. I -really- prefer email responses because it can be more personal and lead to fun conversaions. \:D/

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Love the “fling go” as my girls used to call them! A thought - if you reply to comments here does that mean followers need to come back and look for them?

Sheryl said...

Love the colours of this beautiful flamingo and the bright polka dot fabric. The case is going to be so pretty.