Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Saving the world! And a take away bag ....

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their super comments on my "Friendship" post!! I have been replying but I haven't quite finished yet! It's really nice to hear from all of you.


I will be joining Ana of El Taller de L'Ana' Friendly Challenge No 116 on 30 August as I just happen to have a Cactus project I'd been thinking of making!

~~~~~~~~~~

But back to today ..... because I hate throwing any paper bag away and I want to do my bit to save the world ..... yesterday I made this ......

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

using a paper take away bag as a guide to how I wanted it to look.

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

I wasn't sure whether to make a lining .....

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

however, as it is a prototype I decided not to, but it would be pretty easy to add one.

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

I think it will be big enough to hold 3 or 4 take away boxes ..... you can see a shadow in the bottom of the bag? that’s one box. 

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

Today we went out for a curry, and guess what, we ordered more than we could eat, so I used the take away box I'd saved from last time and tested my prototype by carrying one box home in the bag. I was lucky, although the curry slopped about a bit, it didn't come out, and so no stains!

I'm thinking that maybe I should add a few words on the bag, something like "not a paper bag" or "recycle" or "re-use" ...... or maybe I should paint the bag some way, or maybe even use some Turmeric to dye it a lovely yellow colour ......

Theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

This was made using the pattern from the purple bag on the previous post, from "Charmed by Ashley" but I changed the measurements to be able to carry take away boxes:

Material: Calico
Main fabric measured  11.5" x 21"
Interfacing for bag       11.5 x 21”
Handle, main fabric      2.5” x 10”
Handle interfacing.       1.5” x 10”

Made with a  2” fold at point 4 of “Charmed by Ashley’s” pattern. 


Thank you for the pattern, Ashley! 


Any ideas on decorating? It just looks too white at the moment!




Hugs,
Barbara xxx


22 comments:

Faith... said...

Nice bag there Barbara! If it does splash out a little at least it won't fall through the bag and you can always wash it afterwards.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Barb wow what a great size bag ,I carry fabric bags around with me all the time now,great post my friend,hope you have a lovely day xx

Pamela said...

This is a great idea! I would decorate it with a hexagon flower or butterfly.

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

It is a great bag, with a great design.
And not only is it beautiful but you also contribute to generate less waste.
I love!
Greetings from Spain

Anaisa said...

!wow que ingeniosa eres, es una bolsa muy práctica, útil y una excelente idea para ayudar y colaborar con el medio ambiente!!

Besos!!

Mary said...

Your take-away bag is great. I do my best to remember to bring my canvas reusable bags to the supermarket. I think it would be easiest to stencil something on the bag. Thanks for being a conservationist!

Christine said...

That's a great bag. I'd decorate it with a spatter print in reds and yellows - then any subsequent curry stains will blend in :D

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We have been using cloth bags for a while now. What the world needs is decomposable trash bags. I never hear anything about those big plastic bags we line our trash cans with. We are so spoiled. Thanks for the link to the pattern.
xx, Carol

MARIELA Inspirada said...

Hi!!! This is a very practical bag Barbara! I have to make one like this too, and I think that will look so great with a phrase to show what important is to take care of our planet.
So, we'll be in the next friendly challenge together having a good time! Besitos...

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great idea and a great bag. I think I missed your friendship post so I'll go looking x x Clare

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That's a great idea to make a bag the right size for take aways. I have re-usable bags but none that would keep the boxes properly steady. Thank you for your inspiration and pattern link :)

Rhona said...

What a great idea....and the finished bag is wonderful!

Julie said...

It's great and would make nice gifts for children to draw their own designs on.

Astrids dragon said...

Another fabulous bag, again making it look so easy! I like the idea of adding words, maybe "Go Green" in fabric?

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

I applaud! I have been using reusable bags for years now and I would never go back to plastic or paper. Fabric bags are much more convenient and sturdy. :-)
Dying your white bag with turmeric would make it perfect for carrying curry...just in case it spills. lol

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

That’s a great idea! How did you do the base / gusset? Is it the method where you fold the end up into the bag? (Does that make sense?). I’ve never tried it

Ayla said...

Hola Barbara,
Me encanta tu bolsa, que práctica es y si caben 4 cajas de esas ya puedes ir de picnic, jiji.
Yo también la veo poquito blanca, la verdad. Y si le pintas algo con pintura téxtil? O si no te apetece pintar con un stencil le haces alguna decoración o incluso letras con la palabra que quieras.
Seguro que se te ocurre algo para hacerla mas alegre, porque bonita ya lo es :D
Besote!!!!

Bethan said...

What a great idea - love how you have designed the pattern yourself. I would definitely put some words on it, and perhaps dye it. As it is white it will pick up marks, so some colour would make that less visible x

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think there's a general trend now towards using cloth bags for shopping - and that's a very good thing. Yours look great! Now the hard part is to train our brains to actually USE them. I can remember to take my bags to the grocery store but for some reason I can never remember when I go to the drugstore. I'd be interested to see what would happen to yours if you were to try dyeing it with turmeric.

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Hola Bárbara ! Qué gran idea has tenido al preparar esa bolsa, servirá para ahorrar muchas de papel y plástico, además seguro que se puede lavar.

BESOS

SewforSoul said...

What a great bag and I definitely think a 'curry dye job' would be a good idea 😁

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fantastic bag, I like the idea of curry dyeing it too!

I have quite a collection of canvas bags as we get sent promotional ones at work.