Sunday, December 08, 2019

A Cross Stitch Small and Slow Sunday Stitching


Hi there stitching buddies!

I'm linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, 'cos finally I have a few hand stitching projects to work on.


Yay! I finished the first of my three “new to me” cross stitch projects. 

If you already follow me, you might remember?.... this is the one I told you that "took me over" ..... it was meant to be my travel stitching, 
but it's finished already!

Now I need to think how to FFO (fully finish off).

theflashingscissors.blogspot.com
Pattern PM25 "Christmas Tree" by Anchor

But I have to say, with all the needle changes for the different colours it felt it took forever to stitch 
(probably three days) despite being such a tiny picture! Stitched on 14 count
 (14 stitches per inch).

~~~~~~~~~~

Today I’m stitching a little more on this pattern from CrossStitcher - it’s the free gift from the magazine.

 I've found I really needed grid lines, 
but are you supposed to keep putting them in and pulling them out? Possibly not, but I don't want to get the grid threads caught in my cross stitching.

The pink binding is temporary while I stitch, so the rough edges of the fabric don’t catch and ruin my thread. The pink tab on the top helps me to pick up and stitch quicker ..... you know what it’s like 
when you can't easily tell which way up is!

theflashingscissors.blogspot.com
From CrossStitcher Magazine issue 351

~~~~~~~~~~

Just a couple of pictures while writing. My mum was saying how she missed the "Five on Friday" posts I used to do where I showed places DH and I had been walking, so just a couple of photos from a walk today:

theflashingscissors.blogspot.com

This "little" guy was so happy sitting here that when we returned 30 minutes later he was still sitting in the same place! He obviously had plenty of grass to chew well within reach!

theflashingscissors.blogspot.com

I know!! This is a bit funny, a veggie taking photos of cattle! But still, he does look cute!

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and this was a delicious veggie meal we had last week at our favourite cafe. Not the clearest photo, I took it with the camera rather than phone and there wasn't really enough light.


theflashingscissors.blogspot.com
Nut Roast with steamed Kale, roast parsnip and carrot,
with a special gravy, and finished with a salad of pea shoots

It was such a tasty meal we've ordered one to cook at home for our Christmas dinner. Just hope the train strikes are all finished so we can go and collect the order!

~~~~~~~~~~

Even more hand stitching:

 When I was browsing on Pinterest last week I saw some teeny "Cocktail Napkins"!

Well, as I'm always thinking "Eco" and "Save the World" I thought this would be a good idea! 

I hate going into restaurants and being given paper napkins (often with each course) that get very little use and then go straight into landfill, so this is my very latest hand stitched "Squirrel" .....


using a small piece of Osnaburgh (6" x6") I'm now considering how to decorate! 


theflashingscissors.blogspot.com


This isn't the lace I'm going to use, I was just testing to see if it was suitable. I think the napkin needs brightening up, but not too much as I do plan to use, and wash it plenty, and it might not last too long if it gets stained! So, its not meant to be a heirloom piece!
And, of course, I want this finished NOW! Tee hee!



Must go now, lots of you to visit, and I want to carry on with some of this stitching!


I do hope you'll come back to visit on 20th ..... when I'll be joining in with Jo's On line Advent Calendar. Why not pop over to see what is happening so far HERE.


Hope you are having fun, stitching, too!




Hugs,
Barbara xxx


Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching

(may add to this list later)

22 comments:

Creando y Fofucheando said...

Qué buena pinta tiene ese trabajo navideño de punto de cruz,me gusta!
Y las fotos del amigo también,jajaja,qué guapetón y qué tranquilito se le ve
Muchos besos! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a sweet little cross-stitched Christmas tree! I haven't done any cross-stitch in a very long time, but I would enjoy getting back into it!

Kate said...

Your little Christmas tree is delightful. I look forward to seeing it all finished.

Kim said...

Your little Christmas tree cross stitch is sweet. Have a beautiful Sunday, stitching this pretty.

Quilter Kathy said...

That tiny tree is so sweet... so many colour changes... you did a great job!

Sandra Walker said...

Oh I know cross-stitch is SO time-consuming! Great idea on the pink binding AND tab!! That's going to be such a pretty picture. Well, now I know another 'snap!' between us: you're a vegetarian too! That meal looks divine. And WHAT a fab idea to take your own napkin to a restaurant; must remember that. We were out for dinner and a live band on Saturday evening and got cloth napkins, so yay. Progress.

Queeniepatch said...

Chaning colours on a cross stitch projects takes a lot of time. You might get the threads on the back all tangled up and the threading and rethreading of the needle is a bother, BUT the result is usually worth it. Most colourful and shaded cross stitch motifs are stunning.
Good idea to use your own fabric napkin.

Christine B said...

Love your little cross stitch tree.... so sweet. I'm not a huge fan of cross stitch myself.... I get too impatient with it, so I have lots of admiration for those who do some! Hugs Christine xx

Denise :) said...

I adore that sweet little cross stitched tree! Very darling! :)

Cathy said...

That's a sweet little Christmas tree. Love the photos from your walk!

Pamela said...

Your little cross stitch projects are very cute and the veggie meal looks delicious!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I do like that wee little Christmas tree but I can see there would be a ton of colour changes to deal with. And that's obviously one contented cow!

MARIELA Inspirada said...

This tiny Christmas tree is so cute, I love it!
Just once in my life I made a pincushion with a little cross stitch floral design, something very little. But I admire and love all the beautiful cross stitch patterns and embroideries I see on pinterest. And your tips for making your work easy to stitch and follow with the grid lines is so cool! maybe if I dare to do it again I made it that way.
Great pictures! Besitos...

Anaisa said...

Hola solete! un trabajo un bordado precioso, que arte! que arte!!

Besotes y feliz semana!!

Faith... said...

Your Christmas tree is super cute! Love the cattle too, he didn't seem to care to much about you guys while he ate his dinner.

handmade by amalia said...

Such a nice post, Barbara. I liked the little tree and the veggie meal. And the term FFO (fully finish off) - new to me both as a term and lately as a concept. My unfinished pile is giving me a look!
Amalia
xo

Annet said...

So clever to use a temporary binding to your stitching project!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The tree is lovely, sometimes those tiny kits do take longer than a bigger project!
I don't grid anything, I don't do anything which delays stitching time. If you use DMC cotton for gridding it will catch in your stitches. Sewing thread might be better or even a coloured Nymo.

Let's Get Sewing said...

Your cross stitch looks really lovely!

Kaisievic said...

Very sweet Christmas tree, Barbara.

Bethan said...

I tend to leave my grid lines in, but I just mark the centre lines. When stitching, I try to make sure my crosses go under the grid lines so they aren't trapped. They are fairly easy to snip out afterwards, even if trapped. Such a lovely little tree x

Astrids dragon said...

Sweet little tree, but I know those colour changes can be time consuming!
I don't use grid lines, but I thought it's supposed to come out at the end? But maybe not?
That is a cute "little" guy, he looks quite content.
I'm looking forward to seeing your napkin, what a great idea.